4.17.2010

photography 3 {assignment 1}

Disclaimer: If you like overexposed pictures of kiddos with sparkly eyes twirling down a path in the forest wearing angel wings and a tutu...this might not be the post for you.

And I'm not saying that in jest. I actually quite enjoy that visual. Stay tuned, because you will most definitely sees those type of captures as the spring and summer progress. I finally have a girl. She will be wearing tutus. (OK, maybe no angel wings). But a tutu, yes.

My photography teacher on the other hand, cringes at the thought. She hates posing. She hates everything cliche about photographing people, especially children. A baby in a teacup...eek! A newborn in a wood serving bowl...yikes! (I'm not making fun. Oh, how I love a baby in a wood serving bowl). She loves the authentic. Capturing the person in an almost journalistic way. Capturing a picture that is interesting, even if you don't know the person being photographed.

I understand what she's saying. I even agree to an extent. It just so happens that I like both styles. And that's OK.

For our first assignment, we had to snap 36 consecutive pictures in shutter priority mode. Fill the frame, be creative. No posing, but rather capturing people in their environment being natural. No deleting, include your mistakes, because that's how you learn. We're supposed to pretend it's a roll of film.

Let me just say this, before we get to the photos. I was very unhappy with my pictures. There is not one I would print and put in a frame. But I want my blog to record my progression of photography. If I were a pro, I wouldn't be taking classes, right? ;-) Photo 3 is learning to photograph people, and this was my first assignment of the quarter.

Here are the top 5 pictures that my classmates liked. This first picture isn't one you'd make 50 wallet sizes of, and hand out to the grandparents, but it's telling a story. A headless image of your child might not be the yearly photo that goes in the baby book, but put your creative caps on for a moment and get those right-brain juices flowing.
Photobucket

Many of my classmates chose this as their favorite photo. It's capturing a moment between my boys. I'm not trying to be a cheeseball here, but I will remember them sitting on this picnic table as the sun was setting, thumb wrestling.
Photobucket

This was my teacher's favorite.
Photobucket

My teacher also liked this one. I almost didn't even include it with the 36, I disliked it that much. I said, "my son is so much cuter than that!" She said it was not about being cute, it's about capturing him in moment of being reflective. I thought that was a nice spin.
Photobucket

This is one of the few pictures of the evening in which I actually got some light in Livia's eyes. I'd never taken pictures at this park before, and there was no shade anywhere. The sun was blinding.
Photobucket

Here are some additional shots from the evening. Shooting into the sun won't yield you any catchlights, but I like the way the sun is going down over the hill, creating that hazy look.
Photobucket

This absolutely cracks me up! She's not walking around the rock. She's standing there. Waiting for me to go away.
Photobucket

Um, I can totally see you.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I thought it would be cool to get one brother on each side of Livia, holding her hands, walking off into the sunset. She chose not to cooperate on this particular occasion. Shocking, I know.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

So there you have it. My first photography assignment of the quarter. I debated whether to even post these pictures, because I was not happy with how they turned out. But now we'll be able to track the improvement. I hope! :-)

0 comments: