4.04.2010

sunday snapshots

"Snapshots" being the operative word. I'm trying to find that balance between capturing good photographs vs. being in the moment and enjoying my children. This might be a grandparents-only post, because my pictures are just that...snapshots. No (or very little) editing. Just snapping pictures and not worrying about lighting or color casts, or if my kids are facing the light.

Just snapshots of our Sunday.

I'd been reading about "resurrection buns" that people make on Easter morning. You dip a marshmallow in melted butter, roll it around in cinnamon sugar and roll it up inside a cresent roll. Easy, right?? (If you google resurrection buns, I think the actual recipe involves an added level of difficulty like bread rising. EEK! We just rolled it up in a refrigerated crescent roll and called it a day.

Here are the goods.
Photobucket

Dip the marshmallow in butter and roll it around in the cinnamon sugar.
Photobucket

Drew was having no part of this. He refused to get his hands all "messy." Yep, he got that from me. I've totally ruined him.
Photobucket

Here he is peering out from behind big brother. Big brother will protect you from that nasty ole' cinnamon sugar.
Photobucket

That's all there is to it! My kind of recipe.
Photobucket

There was a lot of this going on. (I have about 20 more pictures just like this one). Resurrection roll, anyone?
Photobucket

Photobucket

Still a little wary of that yucky ole' butter and that icky ole' sugar.
Photobucket

Here is Drew giving me the death glare because I kept coaxing him to participate. Trying to create memories here! Work with me people!!
Photobucket

Nope, the camera didn't malfunction here. This is me trying to distract you with a 70's post processing action because the SOOC shot was so grainy. My ISO was 1600, for those of you who care. Oh, the sea of chairs? There was zero light in my kitchen this morning, so I tried to scooch the table up as close to the sliding glass doors as possible. I had to remove a few things from the kitchen to make that happen. The chairs didn't make the cut.
Photobucket

When my kids are all spiffed up, I have to at least try for a good one.
Photobucket

I think the fake smiles have returned.
Photobucket

Miss Sis was all kinds of adorable in her Easter dress. This highchair belonged to my mom, and it looks SO much better than the plastic version we have with the navy plaid padded background. Livs wasn't quite sure about the highchair at first. And with good reason. You can slip right under the tray and onto the floor. This might or might not have happened the first night we brought it home. Antiques are dangerous, but beautiful.
Photobucket

Collin was once again my assistant; reading Livia a book to get her attention. I've mentioned that when she sees the camera coming she looks away and purses her little lips into a straight line, haven't I? Surely I have.
Photobucket

That book is so funny!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is the finished product. Oh! I can't believe I forgot to tell you the story of the resurrection buns. The marshmallow represents Jesus' body, and the bread is the tomb. The marshmallow disappears (or is supposed to disappear) as it bakes. When you open it up, the marshmallow is gone. Just like Jesus' body was gone from the tomb.

Ours kind of spurted out the sides of the cresent roll. I cook. I don't bake. (I'm sure if you use the real recipe with the real dough, this won't happen).
Photobucket

It may sound silly to worry about lighting and white balance and other technical issues while trying to capture 'moments' with your children. But I have books and books of horrible, dark photographs (all with a bright shot of flash - gasp!!), and they're not as enjoyable to look at. I mean, they're my kids...so I love looking at them, but I want to make them as beautiful as possible. Just like the memories.

0 comments: